Demonstration: Thursday 20 @ Exhibit Annex Table 4
Mulligan: Thursday @ 21 - Festival
Round 1/6: Friday @ 9 - Festival
Memoir 44, like its cousins from other eras (Battle Cry, BattleLore, Commands & Colors: Ancients, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics, Samurai Battles, and The Great War), combines a strong element of strategy with just the right amount of luck from cards and dice. A typical battle can be fought in under an hour, including setup time. Now in its 13th year of distribution, new expansions and scenarios continue to keep it a vibrant and growing game. About 400 official scenarios have been published, along with more than 4,000 player-created scenarios. Many of these so-called Scenarios from the Front are excellent. Also, Memoir 44 Online gives players a ready source of opponents most times of the day or night. A wealth of information about the game is available at www.Memoir44.com
MEMOIR GOES TO THE MOVIES!
We’re going to have special fun this year with some special battles. There is a lively Memoir community in France, Belgium, and some of the surrounding countries, including numerous face-to-face tournaments every year. A couple of years ago, a set of special scenarios based on famous World War 2 movies was created for the Belgian Open. For our first tournament at Seven Springs, we’re going to play those movie scenarios!
• Mulligan & Round 1: Patton
• Round 2: Kelly’s Heroes
• Round 3: A Bridge Too Far
• Round 4: Enemy At the Gates
• Round 5: Saving Private Ryan
• Round 6: Thin Red Line
Updates on tournament details will be at http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/event/details/?id=1648 and on the discussion thread at https://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?goto=340441 .
For more news about Memoir and Overlords at WBC this year, see below.
The schedule for Memoir '44 will be the same as last year. The format will be six rounds, Single Elimination with a Mulligan Round. On Thursday evening - after a Demo with instructors for new players and for experienced players who want to brush-up on special units and rules. Then, we will play the Mulligan Round. Winners in the Mulligan Round are excused from Round 1 the next day, and can rejoin the event in Round 2 at 11 AM Friday. Losers from the Mulligan Round can rejoin the event fresh in Round 1 at 9 AM Friday. The tournament will then run continuously for the rest of the day.
In each round, competitors will play twice against each other, switching sides for the second game. Best total medal count for the two games wins the match. In the case of a tie, the player who inflicts the most casualties on his opponent wins. In Rounds 3 and later, matches won, cumulative wins, and cumulative medals will serve as additional tiebreakers, if necessary. The last tiebreaker for all rounds will be a number drawn at random by the player upon registering for the tournament. Players who bring games being rewarded with higher tiebreak numbers. Please bring your game!
New rule for 2016: Shortfalls and overages.
• The ideal number of players for Round 4 is eight, and for Round 5 is four.
• If more than the ideal number of players remains for Round 4 or 5, an eliminator will be used, as we have done in past years.
• If only seven players remain for Round 4, or if only three players remain for Round 5, then the highest-ranked available loser from the previous round will re-enter the tournament.
• If three players remain after Round 5, the two with the best records (based on the tiebreaking rules) will advance to the Final, and the other will automatically be awarded third place.
FIVE MULTI-PLAYER OVERLORD GAMES
We’ve scheduled five multi-player games this year:
• Thursday 2 PM: Prokhorovka (Kursk) - a favorite from the Eastern Front expansion.
• Friday 11 PM: The Forgotten Battle - by LooneyLlama, geared toward experienced players.
• Saturday 10 AM: Sword of Stalingrad - Battlemap, with Combat cards.**
• Saturday 2 PM: Mauban-Abucay Line - a basic Pacific battle, composed by jdrommel.**
• Saturday 8 PM: Wacht Am Rhein – Overthrough (Overlord-Breakthrough) scenario from the Battle of the Bulge, by Yossarian44.
** If an interesting, new scenario is published, the GM reserves the right to make one substitution. Any change will be announced in advance at http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/event/details/?id=1648