- Rule #1: The main goal of this tournament is to have fun!
- Rule #2: If there is any dispute, problem or argument, please refer to Rule #1.
There will be three heats:
- Players will be randomly assigned to 4-player games. If the number of players in a heat does not divide evenly by four, a number of 3-player games will be formed.
- As much as possible, GM will not assign players who you can play regularly (same family/city) in the same game. Players who select CoB as their Team Tournament game will not play in a game with another member of their own team.
- Please inform the GM if you played in an earlier heat so I can use the same scorecard.
- GM will post a list of semifinalists and alternates on the Castles of Burgundy kiosk after the last heat. If you decide not to play in the semifinals, please inform the GM.
Boards to be used: Each round, each table will be randomly assigned a different board to play on. All players at each table will play on the same board. All boards will be provided by the GM:
Expansion tiles from Expansion 2, 5, & 6 will not be used in this tournament (They can be imbalanced and change the tile mix so more tiles will not be in play.) The new Trade Routes expansion will also not be in use.
Semifinal: There will be 16 players in the semifinals. (In all likelihood, more than one win will be required to advance.)
Advancement will be determined as follows:
- Best result (1st/2nd/3rd/4th) followed by second best result and then third best result..
- If tied, having the better result in their first played heat will break the tie. And then better result their second heat played.
- If still tied, highest percentage of player’s score in all games played to the winning score in each of those games
- If still tied, highest percentage of players score vs, second place score (will likely only apply to players who win their only heat).
- Dice roll
Alternates: An alternate list will be generated by taking the next 10 finishers to complete the field in the semifinals in cases where qualifiers fail to appear. The highest ranked alternates present at the starting time will be given the spots in the semifinals.
- Assignment to semifinal games will be done in the same manner as in the heats.
- Only winners in the semifinals will advance to the Final.
Final: The Final will immediately follow the semifinals in the same location. The winner of the Final will be the WBC Castles of Burgundy champ.
Record Keeping: A sheet will be given to each table to record the official results of each game. Record the First Turn & Final Turn order, which board the game was played on and where each player placed their first castle. Please circle the name of the winner. Please include any interesting events or comments in the space provided. This will help in writing my tournament report. Thanks!
Errata, Rules Clarifications, etc.:
- The GM will rule on rules disputes, except in games in which he is playing, in which case, an assistant GM will make the ruling. Any ruling will be recorded and used in the future should a similar dispute arise.
- If the game is not completed in the three-hour time limit, the GM reserves the right to adjudicate the result. Mostly likely the GM will ask the players to complete the round and conduct final scoring. However, if the GM determined one player is primarily responsible for the slow play and has not sped up play in response to repeated prompting by the GM, the GM may impose penalty for the slow play. Please keep the games moving.
- At the start of the game, each player chooses their starting castle position in turn order before the tiles are set up on the main boards for the first phase.
- Tiebreaker: If two or more players are tied on VPs, the player with most empty spaces will be the winner (per the errata). If still tied, the tied player who moved last in the final turn will be the winner.
- GM may remove a player for deliberate cheating or abusive behavior. Always remember Rule #1.
Thank you for playing Castles of Burgundy at WBC. Have fun!