Demonstration: Wednesday 17 @ Exhibit Annex Table 4
Heat 1: Monday @ 16 - Wintergreen
Heat 2: Wednesday @ 18 - Wintergreen
Final: Saturday @ 12 - Wintergreen
This event is a Single Elimination tournament run in two separate heats - the winners continue to play until only one person remains in each heat. As is our custom, the winners of the two heats will meet later during the week at their mutual convenience to decide the championship. You may enter either or both heats.
Standard game rules will be modified to add a two-dice field goal chart and overtime rules will be modeled after the current NFL playoff rule. If the team that receives the OT kickoff goes down and scores a touchdown the game is over. If they only get a field goal the other team will get a possession attempt to try and answer the score. If the team with the ball first fails to score a touchdown on that opening possession, the game proceeds with sudden-death rules from that point onward. A recovered on-sides kick counts as a possession for the RECEIVING team. This means that if you receive the OT kick-off and go down and score a field goal and then recover an on-sides kick (why you would do this is questionable...), the game would then end. Also, if you start the OT with an on-sides kick and recover it, you can then end the game with a field goal on your resulting drive.
OTHER RULE CLARIFICATIONS and/or CHANGES:
1. Plays that gain exactly 20 yards that are inbounds will use 45 seconds of game clock unless a timeout is called in which case the play will use 15 seconds of time.
2. Missed field goal attempts will result in the defending team getting the ball 8 yards beyond the previous line of scrimmage or the 20 yard line whichever is further from the defending goal line.
3. On-sides kick attempts will add one to the die roll if the kicking team IS TRAILING when the on-sides kick is attempted IN THE 4TH QUARTER ONLY. All other on-sides kick attempt results will be as printed without any modifications to the charts. (Basically, you will have a 1/6 chance of recovering an on-sides kick when you are losing and the defense expects that you might try an on-sides kick. You will have a 2/6 chance of recovering an on-sides kick if you try one when it is more likely to be unexpected by the defense.)
4. Kickoff results where there is initially a FUMBLE result followed by a LONG GAIN result on the second roll, will have the fumble take place at the end of the long gain return (roll on the LONG GAIN chart to determine this result) with the kicker having the ball at that yard line. If the long gain would have been a touchdown for the receiving team without the fumble, this result assumes that the returner fumbled the ball into and thru the opposing end zone before crossing into the end zone and so the kicker would get the ball at their OWN 20 yard line due to the resulting touchback.
5. Kickoff results where there is initially a PENALTY result followed by a LONG GAIN or LONG GAIN +5 result on the second roll, will have the penalty marked off from the WORST (from the returning team's perspective) of the Long Gain yard line or the 50-yard line if the return would have been beyond the 50 yard line.
6. Kickoff results where there is initially a PENALTY result followed by a FUMBLE result on the second roll, will have a third roll to determine the yard line of the fumble. At this point, the kicking team would decline the penalty and accept the result of the play which is a fumbled kickoff recovered by the kicking team.
If needed due to an odd number of players, byes will be given to former champions in reverse order. A player may receive only a single bye per heat and if they decide to decline the offer of a bye, the bye will be offered to the next former champion and so on. If no former champions are eligible for a bye when one is needed, a die roll will take place to determine which player will get the bye.
Heats: Multiple Single Elimination (HMSE) - Players may play in and win more than one Heat, but can qualify for only one place in the final event standings. Should a single player win both heats, that person will be the champion. Other places will be decided based on number of entrants in each heat followed by any head to head results.
PLEASE BRING A COPY OF THE GAME if you have one. I will provide charts to accommodate all entrants.
Most importantly, plan to have fun and enjoy this game. If you understand football, this is a quick game to learn and is fun to play!